Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Breaking Up Part TWO

Friendship break ups have been a common theme this past year. I'm not the only one that anguishes over deliberations of saving or saying goodbyes to friends.

I appreciated the insightful comments to this past week's entry on breaking off friendships:

Hey, it's me, Gordacci. With that name, I sound like a designer handbag. What a great observation and connection between ourselves and the people we attract. "Matching Baggage." It makes so much sense. What we cannot tolerate in others is what is wrong with ourselves. Likewise, what we admire in others is what we like about ourselves.

So whatever comes along and attaches itself, be it temporary or long term, may serve as a mirror to ourselves. We can admire it, change it, drag it along as it is, leave it behind, or clean it, polish it, and make it as presentable as possible.


So if we are mirrors of one another, we reflect our hopes and our insecurities. In friendship we can enjoy the possibilities through our admiration and enjoyment of one another. We find empathy through our sharing and from there ... the strength and focus to rise above self-defeating stories because our friends have slayed certain dragons before us.

There's an affinity that is enjoyed in friendship which a dragon slayer friend of mine referred to:

You're known by the company you keep, and I think it's wise that you surround yourself with relationships where mutual trust, love, empathy and kindness abound.

I have a world that is beyond my ears that listen to a person... I have my creative work, my family and my friends. Generosity in real friendship cannot be measured in dollars... the price is high.. Lending an ear in friendship translates into attention, free time, and physical, emotional, and spiritual energy...


What did I see as the trade off in remaining in unhealthy friendships where someone's baggage takes up all the space in your overhead compartment???

A favorite quote ... I leave as my answer....

JNET

If you live with a cripple,
you will
learn to limp.

Plutarch

No comments:

Post a Comment