Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Romancing LA... Single and Loving It?



"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper."

Eden Phillpotts

Mystic drove down from Santa Barbara to bring flowers. He's part ruffian part puppy. The jury is still out on him but he won brownie points being a comfort to me the other day.

Thoroughly having pushed the envelope these past few weeks, ignoring being tired, being off schedule, my body had began to protest... quietly and finally louder.

"My heart hurts. I may ask you to take me to the emergency room."

I didn't have a better greeting for him. It was the moment I had at hand. Mystic stayed calm and stood watch, bringing me water and listening to me make my funeral plans just in case. Anxiety attacks are not fun. The pain subsided and I fell asleep.

I wasn't planning on having this little scare and poor Mystic was the IT person to watch me. Used to my solitude between parades of friends, I'm accostumed to not having to share moments like this. It was kind of nice though it felt very selfish. I'd hate to make someone wait on me like that regularly. But it was nice to see a balance established during an unsettling evening. When I woke up, Mystic smiled with relief and cheered. He had to go back to work, almost 100 miles away and was glad that we didn't have to go to the hospital.

"You're a fighter, a warrior. You won't die."

Comfort from my ruffian. Is there a prince in there? I don't know. One thing I learned, it's nice to consider letting go of solitude and letting someone be a comfort and blessing... even though it half terrifies them..

It's Shavuot and I am not teaching today. Today, I will celebrate rest and enjoy the beauty of peace. Yes, I'm romancing LA... (the blog radio show of the same name debuts this Saturday) and though single... I definitely feel the love.... from Mystic and many others. What a great birthday month.

JNET

No comments:

Post a Comment