Friday, September 1, 2006

On Being "HIgh Maintenance"




"Are you a high-maintenance girl?" I was asked today...

I wanted to laugh. How to answer such a question... Tell a 2 year old to make toast. Will the child be wrong for having difficulty? Ask a neighbor to take care of your docked boat for the summer. Is the boat high maintenance if he doesn't understand boats?

I suppose I am "high-maintenance" to the person who doesn't understand me but to my friends, I make absolute sense and it is a very happy connection.

High maintenance seems like a mean cop out when everyone really is sad and frustrated about missing the connection. And it's an easy way to leave and put someone down in the meantime.

I'm not high maintenance.

I'm like the ocean full of life and depth. I am happy in simply being the ocean that is me. I don't need the sun or moon to be an ocean and I don't make demands that the stars drop out of the sky for me.

You can't maintain an ocean.

You can travel the ocean, explore it and be yourself... and learn how to breathe, swim and play. Be kind and peaceful in your play.

We all know someone who adores the ocean... they say they belong there or were born "water babies."

That is love. It is not drowning and succumbing. It's more like trusting yourself to hold your head up and float in understanding.

I spent a couple of hours answering to questions about my quirks and thoughts on life and love. I don't know how many girls are being screened for this pilot show...

A reality romantic comedy... Interesting... I don't know if an ocean will work for their ratings. Maybe...

I can't be the only ocean. Everyone is an ocean too. Right?

Something to think about.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:21:00 PM

    I enjoyed your commentary on "high maintenance." Sometimes I will kid my wife about being high maintenance, but it is in a loving manner - she worries about making too many demands because she is sick. It is never a chore to support her - it is a gift to be able to give to the one you love the most, but is is difficult for her to accept this at times. She is an ocean, to be navigated around and cared for to the extent that you can care for an ocean. Your writing stirs up these thoughts within me; you have a gift in writing just as my wife is a gift not only to me but to many denizens of earth.


    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing about your love for your wife, Bill. It's beautiful. I am touched to know that love such as yours exists and I am sure... transforming everyone within it. You two are a gift to the world. Thank you again for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:36:00 PM

    Hey JNET,
    I liked your thoughts on "high maintainance". Quite poetic :-).
    Cheerio,
    Prash

    ReplyDelete