Sunday, October 9, 2005

On Being Committed

It's been a mind-blowing year to grow up.

I spoke to R. in AZ the other day to encourage him to volunteer time as an assistant at Landmark Education. But he hoed and hummed over "time commitment".

I totally understand the "I don't have enough time" tune. I've sung it for many years to bypass commitment and I finally got that this past year.

So what did I choose to do differently this year? I chose to take on being committed to several things and the things that I had been "committed" to already, I took on to a new level of creating excellence and being impeccable.

I wanted a breakthough in the realm of commitment.... knowing that I am a "selective" commitment-phobe. And this is what I've learned...

I watched how I complained in my head and got over myself a lot quicker.

After getting over myself, I recommitted and became present to what I said I was committed to.

If I knew that I had a time conflict coming on, I made a conversation happen right away because I wasn't just committed to a certain appointment... I was committed to being a person that can be straight and dependable.

I created a game in being in a space to play at living out excellence...

I learned that being committed is fun... and that there's room for lots of spontaneity.

So I'm happy that I joined the dance company after being invited for so long. The Sunday 10am to 5pm (sometimes later) time frame always put me off. But I showed up and I got over myself and my mistakes because I wanted to create art and learn the cultural dances of my parents. I wanted to master grace, expression, and throw myself into the world of performance dance... and having killer abs is a nice plus.

I'm happy with who I am as a growing artist.

I'm a better student at BSF. It has been a commitment to always grow spiritually as well as intellectually in faith and study. I'm enjoying the mystery of life at a modulated space and I don't keep it to myself... I share it, I blog it... and I find myself celebrating life even more.

I'm happy with who I am as a person of growing faith.

So these are a couple of thoughts on my mind regarding commitment...

And I have my muse to thank for being a catalyst in giving me new eyes to look at my life and how I want to handle things. And I want to have a great life and not a so so life and his encouragement is like water to me... and with our respective crazy lives...within the spaces of being together... I've learned commitment at a level that has freedom and integrity... where security comes from within and doesn't seek it outside of the self.

And life comes out so much more magically... Because commitment is a lot more than just showing up for an appointment... it's showing up to life.

JNET

No comments:

Post a Comment