Monday, September 10, 2007

Aren't We A Pair


The mathematician said hello yesterday evening.

The ironies of Life never cease to amaze me.

We toasted to J and C last night at a concert in Descanso Gardens. J and C brought two extremely busy and resistent people, myself and the mathematican to a lunch several years ago. Our respective relationships with J and C disintegrated (putting it lightly) but nonetheless, I loved the irony and thought it worthy of a toast.

In the spirit of Mozart's playfulness, we lifted our cups to defy past enmities while The Marriage of Figaro played. If ever I was to describe a cosmic explosion, then I have to say that such happened the day I met this enigmatic man. I once thought romantic love was a plebeian pursuit that brought less than ideal realizations.

The world shook again as I sat at his side and wondered where the white rabbit was. I enjoyed my evening in wonderland and wish I could find my way there. Why can't I find it without the mathematician? A part of me still wants to deny that he has such power.

There were some days that the mathematician seem more mythical than real. And the times I see him, reality feels fantastic.

"Why are you here?" I asked.

"Do you want to discuss metaphysics?"

"We can discuss nonsense or metaphysics, as long as we enjoy ourselves."

"So who was supposed to be your date tonight had I not come?"

"I had no date planned. S called last night to say he was playing in the orchestra and that he had a couple of tickets. I hadn't spoken to him in several months. This evening purely came out of spontaneity."

I didn't expect my invisible muse to make an appearance. I had grown comfortable with my epistolary hellos and never expected anything more than he be a listener and quiet force in my life.

Last night at the garden, all I could think of... was...

"Aren't we a pair?"

It was perfect. Two ascetics trying to navigate the terrain of a date. We laughed a lot and then we kissed goodbye.

Onto the romance of Life....

Hopefully, I will see my mathematician again.

JNET

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:21:00 AM

    Dear J,

    I trust you have been doing well for it seems likely.

    Anyway, the comment was warranted because the Grammar Gestapo in me would like to point out that "plebian" is spelt with an e, i.e.
    "plebeian". The spelling of "plebian" is already considered obsolete.

    Cheers and to Mozart as well!
    Aristocrat

    P.S.: I'm gonna catch Le Nozze di Figaro in a week's time, performed by the Vienna State Opera and conducted by Seiji Ozawa ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aristocrat..

    AKA the Grammar Gestapo :)

    Thanks for the heads up... both spellings are available in my dictionary... but to please you, I will choose the fancier spelling.

    As for the Vienna State Opera conducted by Seiji Ozawa.... WOW... lucky you... enjoy.

    JNET :)

    ReplyDelete