Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Sacrifices for Growth and Greatness


I brought up the issue of "self-mortification" during my time with L, an Opus Dei member.

Let's define this "religiousese" word:

MORTIFICATION: the practice of asceticism by discipline to overcome desire and to strengthen the will.

Bearing sacrifice makes one not take for granted that which one aspires toward..a sense that one can overcome their desires and grow in strengthening one's will.

A dancer spends years of countless hours to develop grace and strength, bending their body in positions not natural yet making it look effortless after years of practice, a musician's technique is no accident... controlling independent fingers to be agreeable and expressive is not easy... and the writer, artist and athelete grows their greatness in the spaces of solitude. Conversations are exchanged for silence so that creativity has a clearing.

And so I understood, L's practice of "self-mortification" .... "small sacrifices" in order to grow self-discipline, mindfulness of the inner conversations, and appreciation of life by creating struggles to humble one from being attached to personal suffering. It's the lessons and creativity that one is embracing... not the "pain."

Without mindful focus on balance, the artist and athelete could injure themselves if they blindly allow ego to drive them into a maschoistic regime... and such mindfulness is required of spiritual exercise as well. A trained musician and a coached athelete knows which boundaries to push to challenge oneself.

The fruits of these sacrifices can be seen by what a person produces... is their life a work of artistry and excellence... or as the people of Opus Dei strive for... a work of God.

JNET

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:26:00 PM

    JNET,

    I have been reading your blog here and am impressed at your desire to search out for Truth. You have already investigated a lot of different spiritual paths, and seem to be eager to continue on your journey.

    That is refreshing--to hear someone be honest about where they are with trying to make very important "life" decisions.

    While I cannot possibly tell you where you will wind up....I CAN tell you that if you pray to God and ask Him to guide your path.....He will......He really means what He says! :-)

    May He bless you with wisdom and guidance!

    Sincerely,
    Stan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:29:00 PM

    It's nice to see how willing you are to share your thoughts for the world to see. Blogs are an excellent snap shot of who we are and what we want out of life...giving the opportunity to be Ambassadors of Hope to others.

    Your blog has a purpose and I enjoy reading it.

    without wax,

    Neal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Stan for saying hello:)

    I suppose I ought to let you know that I am a Christian and can't say that I am a "seeker" as I think you are thinker...

    I am in the path of meeting different people and being part of diverse lives of very committed people of different paths...

    If there is anything I am seeking, it's the common language of humanity. If I have the love and respect of a Hasidic Jew or a Buddhist family that also celebrates me and encourages my faith, sharing the value they receive from their choice and open to the value I gain from mine, my hope then is to continue being a bridge of compassion.

    I find myself convicted by my own judgementalness and near-sightedness in the open company of these different people. God teaches me many lessons in giving me such a diverse world.

    If I repel them from myself, I repel them from the possibility of knowing Christ.

    Thank you again for sharing and your blessings in encouragement.

    JNET :)

    ReplyDelete