Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Tea with Three

Yaa baba!

Instead of getting on a plane to go to another world, I accepted an invitation for tea with three musicians from Turkey. Last evening I had an introduction to their language and culture over tea and a "double apple special with cranberry juice" in a hookah. I enjoyed my time and decided to have a second day with the Turks.

The opera singer needed to practice speaking English as well as talk about playing together. Mystic and his brother wanted to go out for a morning hike and so off we went to climb a mountain, discuss music, politics, and coach them in speaking English.

I think my favorite part was watching the three gather over tea and cookies. My past experience of "hanging out with the guys" was watching conversation degenerate over beers. That's an experience like watching monkeys in a cage; odd and strangely entertaining and after 15 minutes becomes utterly boring. But watching the three Turks mindful over tea and conversation was surreal.

I don't think I've watched men interact where sarcasm wasn't on the table as a main entree. These three were respectful, encouraging, hospitable, intelligent and fun without sticking in a slapstick routine. It was refreshing and I was presented with several performances through out the day from arias to pieces played on the baglama.

Guys gathering over tea... what a concept... it seems too radical and foreign! It was absolutely cool.

JNET

No comments:

Post a Comment