Monday, December 27, 2004

POEM: Man in a Dress

Can I cry for just a moment?
Crawl into an embrace for safe space?
Can I drop the lead and not be a light?
And have a hand brush my pretty face?

Can I not be the strong woman for a moment?
Can I find a man to admire for his strengths?
Like a queen who's lost for a king and a ruler
I sit in solitude power for great lengths.

A prince arrives seeking comfort
A prince calls on to me to grant him safe space
A prince calls me his leader and his light
None worthy to brush my pretty face

A prince requests that I teach him about ambition
Focus and drive, I serve as his lead
I am asked to be a servant from the throne
And not a single prince asks what are my needs

Impossible and cold I feel for being treated less
From men who deny living their very best
I am chided for an arrogance
Forced into a position of a man in a dress

How I long for someone to admire
For his ambition and for his strength
Who lives for building his kingdom and nothing less
His best for his one life
Worthy to caress my pretty face

In the presence of such passion and power
Able to address a king and not a prince
I'll feel free and not treated less
No longer to live as
A man in a dress

Copyright ©2004 J. R. Hollyday

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:39:00 PM

    i liked the way you used imagery and power, demonsrating what you view as your personal power and wanting, yearning for someone else to have that same power and more...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:02:00 AM

    I get you. This is a great poem with a very appropriate title which the body completely explains. YOu are tired of doing all the work. being the leader all the time can take so much of your energy away from you. I have this going on in my life too so I truly relate . this line from men denying to live their very best I really am drawn to what it says and scrolled back up, read it out loud so someone in my presence could hear it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:04:00 AM

    There are many men, I would guess the majority of men, especially in this country USA that have either abdicated their throne of authority and leadership or have had it slowly wrestled from him while he was growing up. Therefore, it is hard to meet a man who knows his role in life and can still be gentle to a woman.
    I love your poem and the thought you have put into it. And you have written it quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:27:00 AM

    this is such an awesome poem ... it reminds me of a fairy tale... your imagination is so captivating, alluring, i love it...i like the rhetorical questions...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:46:00 PM

    bravo diva!!!! you go girl!!! you express the catch-22 of a strong woman with so much to give that few can even realize much less appreciate! excellent use of metaphor with your royal story....where are the kings? don't ask me, i settled for a prince....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:34:00 PM

    I hear you, sister! Finding a partner that you feel is worthy of you is very difficult indeed. Keep looking, I'm sure he's out there, maybe. Your poem made me laugh at the truth of it and made me sad at the truth of it.

    ReplyDelete