Saturday, September 11, 2010

Complex Meet Complicated

complex meet complicated


SEMANTICS: the language used to achieve a desired effect through the use of words with novel or dual meanings.

I don't mind a good brain workout toward winning a game, mastering a piano piece, or even taking on the extra mindfulness of handling a delicate conversation. To me something complex or intricate is also interesting and elegant and I would experience complex as I would a rollercoaster.

You ought to know that I ADORE rollercoasters... a masterful engineering of steel and hydraulics that uses physics for a calculated thrill equation. Complex is a good ride... sometimes fast with quick corners and sometimes climbing, building anticipation. Complex can be enjoyed on a sunny day and a serious aficionado will ride out on a rainy day.

COMPLEX: (biochemistry) an entity composed of molecules in which the constituents maintain much of their chemical identity

Complex creates an emotion in me that is of awe and curiosity. Complex has a certain fascinating slant; several. Edgey and complexy sexy....

Complex meet Complicated....

Complicated is not sexy or edgey at all. It snarls at Complex and promises a good fight. Complicated is not fun to sit through. Lacking the charisma and fascinating lure of Complexity, Complicated gains attentions by complaints and emotional hijackings that create a thrill of a different and darker sort.

I bring these two words up because so many people choose "complicated." I tend to choose complex. What you choose colors how you walk the path.

I decided to un-choose "complicated" people recently. The ride guaranteed frustration, disappointment and unsettling predictability. Complicated people also seem to have an unearned sense of entitlement over other people's time and patience as well as a lack of graciousness, autonomy and initiative to create balance.

One such person had a knack for needing to spew the miseries of her life on me ad nauseum. I found myself feeling ill - interrupted several times during a clockwork of desperation from her needing an audience. Just trying to be a sympathetic ear was challenging...

In the end, I find that a life liberally labeled as complicated is code for "don't question my life" just let me dump it on you.

Not to expect Life to be a ride on the teacups.... I just like it challenging enough to make me think and be creative... look forward to intricacies and enjoy fast corners.

Which would you choose? I have a gorgeous Bach piece that you may enjoy getting your hands on. One is complex. The other is complicated.

How do you color your world with your words?

Jnetsworld... clearing away complication.

JNET

No comments:

Post a Comment