Thursday, June 12, 2008

SS: Practicing Salt Shaker Life


Notoriously single, I decided to get married the easiest way I knew possible;

I married one of my facebook buddies...

JNET: "E, do you mind confirming me as your wife? If you don't mind playing along, I'd like to marry you this week."

The announcement... specifically, my facebook status update, coincidentially landed during a weekend I was planning to visit Las Vegas for the first time. Predictably, the plan was cancelled.

My first hello came from a friend in Kuwait... followed by half a dozen others from around the country...

A: "You got married !! OMG !! Congratulations !!! All the best sis :)"

Close friends suspected I would be spontaneous enough for a Vegas wedding but the glaring clue that made it questionable was that they all knew I will only marry on a specific date. I also began putting up crazy updates to entertain my friends to clue them in that I was playing a game... such as;

"JNET is honeymooning to planet XYZ in an ice cream truck..... JNET is drawing out her wedding portrait with crayons."

My current status update is:

"JNET is lost in a time travel catatonic state due to a stupid penny."

Would becoming part of a salt shaker set be fatalistic to enjoying solitude? As I enjoy both worlds through facebook, I see that a huge part of my identity is my singularity in living a soloist life.

So... I promised to marry half a dozen other friends on my facebook during the summer.

Solitude... my silence makes me sane. Is it possible to have it all? Solitude, silence AND a salt shaker life?

Perhaps my boardgame mantra fits here:

"I hate to lose (a boardgame) but I enjoy a good beating."

I am enjoying the shock, the hellos and the congratulations. Despite being the type of person that doesn't like to speak to anyone before noon unless I have to, I've been stretching my self in practicing "relationship" in my own ways.

Status updates to follow (on facebook)

:)

JNET



13 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:49:00 AM

    you got married !! OMG !! Congratulations !!! All the best sis :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you, abed, for your congratulations...

    but not wishing to disappoint you, i must admit... my "marriage" is for fun.. i'll be marrying another friend next week...

    thought i'd have some fun... summer loving... internet style...

    no boyfriend as of yet... still waiting on being blessed in that arena... surrounded by lots of love by friends though...

    again, thank you for you congratulations...

    :)

    JNET

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:57:00 AM

    loool

    so this is all fun :D :D

    One day you will change your status for real, and I'll be congratulating the luckiest man on earth :)

    have a nice day my good friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, someday, you will congratulate a real one... practicing for now.
    :)

    JNET

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:00:00 AM

    Congrats on your wedding!!! I hope you're enjoying married life so far!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are sooo sweet :) thanks for the congratulations... toward me and my husband of the week.

    haha

    maybe we can get married later this summer?

    i am enjoying "married" life... this is fun..

    JNET :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:01:00 AM

    your husband of the week?! Dang girl!!! well- live it up!!

    Hey- you had me fooled! I really thought you got married!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3:02:00 AM

    Hi, you should post wedding pictures up!

    HAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous3:03:00 AM

    If I had known you were getting married the next day, I would have let you win at air hockey as my wedding gift to you! :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3:03:00 AM

    You getting married?

    ReplyDelete
  11. want to be my husband of the week later on this summer?

    jackie baby... i'm just playing...

    JNET

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous3:04:00 AM

    Well, I can take care of the wedding night after party details.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous3:06:00 AM

    Did you really get married J? Congrats!

    ReplyDelete