Thursday, June 14, 2007

Thinking Outside the Laundry Basket


"Love conquers all and it helps to have a really good lawyer."

Miss Diva and I broadcasted a show to commemorate Loving Day.

The "Lovings" were an actual couple that "broke" the law by being married. They were jailed and given the choice of up to three years in prison or leave the state of Virginia for at least 25 years. They were an interracial couple.

It is hard to believe that 40 years ago there were laws in this country that forbade, in most states, the intermingling and marrying of two different races or cultures.

But yes, we separated the colors from the whites and had lived the laundry basket mentality for several generations. Love was a felony way back when to many unfortunate lovers.

It's been 40 years. Have we evolved as a society? Sadly, I'm seeing a renewed homogenization in some circles. What the Lovings fought for, overcoming struggle, disrespect and insensitivies for the sake of Love humbles me.

Who fights for Love anymore? Silent laws have been self-imposed even though the States may have set us free. Fighting private fears and complacency is the new battleground. To think "outside of the laundry basket" and not fear hot water or that a stray red sock can ruin the world makes sense. A uniform world is not something to be excited about.

Saturday, my show will consider the conversation further... If you want to share some of your laundromat mentality experiences or how you live life outside of the laundry basket, join myself and friends at our breakfast club, Saturday at 9am.

Blogtalkradio/JNETSWORLD!

JNET

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:42:00 AM

    Hi Jeanette,

    Sounds great – I look forward to it!

    All the best,

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:25:00 PM

    Hi JNET,

    I wish we had more than half an hour! Regardless, it was a great discussion.

    I just did some searching around to find out if Canada ever had laws against interracial marriage; apparently it never did. Neither did England, whose legal system forms the base of both the Canadian and American systems. The only countries ever to have had laws against interracial marriage are the USA, South Africa and Germany. This is news to me. I thought more countries would have had such laws at some point in history… but apparently not.

    I’ve got more thoughts on the subject, but it’s a beautiful day and I want to get out and enjoy it! J I’ll let things percolate and write them down later.

    Robin

    ReplyDelete