Wednesday, August 18, 2010

SPEECH: People Person

speech: people person




I have a confession I am going to share with you.

But first, I would like a show of hands. Who considers themselves a people person?

You have a demeanor that puts people at ease and gets them engaged. You like people and they like you back. Some of you may even light up the room when you enter and people are happy just because you are there.

I think it is fair to say that we all want to be likable. It's helpful.... to be gainfully employed, feel part of the neighborhood.... and prevent getting ourselves killed.

Even though some may do it all wrong.

And some of you may actually get a charge interacting with people.. even the ones who are offensive.

As for the ones who do things just right. Wow! They speak so well, they dress so sharp, they look minty fresh up close and from a distance. And some make their way to the big stage, with lights, cameras, and an awesome audience like you times wow.... multiplied by wow cubed!

Imagine. All those people. What a rush. Loving you...

listening to you so intently...

wondering what shampoo you use.

Imagine....

All....

those...

people.....

Contestmaster, Fellow Toastmasters, and Distinguished Guests.

Here's my confession.

I am not a people person.

Not in the sense that many of you kind people are. I do get a rush of energy. A rush of energy leaving my body. I wish I was built differently but for every hour that I play out in being with people, I need an hour to myself to recover. .. preferably in silence.

I rarely speak to people before noon. You know that scene where there's a person trying to make some sense of a baby and a toddler comes along to translate for the baby? I'm that baby. I let my friends talk for me.

No... no... no... I don't believe it.

Yes.. yes.. yes... Believe it.

But you perform, JNET. You dance. You host a podcast. You do speeches at Toastmasters.

As long as I have a structure to follow, a script, choreography, I manage... I dare myself with sink or swim situations. But this isn't as easy for me as it might be for another person. I am prone to fainting if I feel anxious. Heck, I fainted at home alone just thinking of this speech competition.

Performing is my "practice" to develop and enjoy some sort of poise despite sensing that my battery pack is depleting itself in processing so much. Standing here is like skydiving to face a fear of heights. But I am not afraid of people, I am just acutely aware that this experience is physically demanding for me... and this is where I learn to pack my parachute.

I'm an introvert stuck in an extavert's body.

If you ask me for my number, I will tell you straight off ... don't call.... even if you are a cutie pie and you know I'm crushing on you. Text me. Facebook me.

I have a preference to be alone. A lot. I am a process and reflect sort of girl. My family and friends are used to it. They check my status updates to make sure I'm okay and to keep up with what I'm up to. ­My mom learned that I was in Palm Springs for the Toastmaster convention only after she checked my Facebook.

When I spend time with those I love...

It's like when I am alone.

It's really nice. Lots of laughter but lots of space to be quiet.

Space to be quiet doesn't work at parties though that hasn't stopped me from retreating to a corner with a book. I fall by the side when conversations buzz around gossip, pop culture, sports. That is a lot of information to stay on top of. Â Even if I had an arsenal of jokes to share. Â I would still choose to be quiet.

I love people as all of us here do. Yet, being with people for some is like a shot of caffeine into their system. For me, its the opposite and if I'm in needy company it feels like a vampire is on my jugular. That's a lot for me to recover from. I may have to disappear for a few days or take a really long shower to feel like myself again.

I once had a roommate that could not help but talk talk talk about everything that excited her or made her sad. I was up to three showers at one point. It got so bad that my thoughts started taking on her voice. I had to ask her to leave.... I couldn't recenter myself.

Silence is Golden and I mine for it every day so that I can be the person you see and not pass out. Toastmasters puts high value on communicating and connecting, and now that you know my secret, that I am an introvert in an extrovert's body, I am going to dare and go out on a limb and make a stand for my fellow people-loving introverts who value communication, connecting and silence.

(silence)

Just a few minutes to go.

Just kidding.

Thanks for allowing me that.. I think that tiny bit of silence gave me an extra bar of juice.

Contestmaster

JNET

Leave a Comment

No comments:

Post a Comment