Tuesday, April 14, 2009

RECIPE: Red Velvet Cupcakes


R: "Do not wear anything when making red velvet. You will ruin your clothes."

I've ruined my red velvets several times and though the red batter is intimidating when mixing, I've never ruined my clothes.

Despite mini disasters along the way, I pressed on with my fascination to bake a red velvet worthy of celebrating with friends.

I think it is fair to say that this will be an easy and dramatic crowd pleaser. I am not a "baker". I've made cakes that can do damage. I've baked bricks!

But the following recipe is what eventually succeeded in making everyone happy as well as this geek goddess.... inspiring someone who usually writes about art and life to write about... baking.

Put on the red apron... just in case.

DRY INGREDIENTS FIRST IN A BIG BOWL...

2 1/2 cups all - purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
3 tblsp corn starch
1 tsp salt

CREAM THESE INGREDIENTS IN A SEPARATE MEDIUM BOWL....

1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk (room temperature)
2 large eggs (room temperature)
2 oz red food coloring
1 tsp vanilla extract

MY FAVORITE PART: Playing mad scientist ;)

Activate and add from a separate spoon BEFORE adding to wet ingredients...

1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp white distilled vinegar

Combine wet and dry ingredients. Mix well.

This recipe bakes about 18 cupcakes. I bake it at/around 300, 325, 350.

I told you I wasn't much of a baker. I check the cupcakes at 20 minutes. If they toothpick test well, I take the cupcakes out to cool and put them back in to bake an additional 10 minutes. They come out with a delicately crunchy top and are moist inside. This recipe is for someone who likes sweet but on a lighter note. It may seem that you are creaming a lot of sugar. It's not.

If you want to have more fun. I've melted chocolate bits into the center of each cupcake or added 2 oz of a caramel liquor for "flair." I'm sure you'll have your own ideas to play with. I've frosted and decorated with berries, with candies and chocolate shavings...

CREAM CHEESE FROSTING

according to personal taste

whipped cream cheese
butter
confectionary sugar

Enjoy! Let me know how your cupcakes come out.

JNET

No comments:

Post a Comment