Monday, October 8, 2007

A League of Angels


MOM: "Everyone has a guardian angel looking after them. Do you pray to your guardian angel?"

JNET: "I don't have a guardian angel, Mom, I have a league of angels."

I didn't know that by the end of the weekend, God was going to tickle me again and prove that my league was looking out for me.

Should I go down to San Diego for my niece's birthday for a second consecutive weekend away from home? I called her and asked about her plans. Will she be too busy with her friend, I wondered. The question was easily cleared with a phone call to her. She wanted me to be there.

And so I purchased another set of train tickets and planned for a nice Friday evening ride staring at cars in traffic while I whisked by.

Friday night came but my 7:18pm train didn't. An incident up the track was delaying my train. It was a cold night and I hadn't prepared for sitting out in the evening cold. I made friends with my fellow popsicles and after a third call to Amtrak, we all decided to abandon hanging out for the train and sit indoors and weigh in our respective options. I put my bags in my car and called my brother.

R: "Maybe you can catch a 6am train to get here in the morning."

JNET: "Ahh, I still have to figure out who can drop me off at the station at that hour and I don't know if the subway is running that early in the morning. Let me go out and ask these folks here what they are planning."

A couple of guys decided they were going to hop in a cab and head downtown and hope they can fit into a 10pm train. I didn't think twice and ran to my car, retrieved my bags and got into the cab. We got to Union Station and saw a healthy line growing for the same train ride. But my new friends and I were confident to get a seat in business class and be able to relax. They generously paid my taxi fare.

When I got to the ticket booth I realized that I no longer had my ticket on me. I had lost them somewhere en route to Union Station. I ran out to check the street. A couple of security people asked around to help me out and I returned to the booth empty-handed. My traveling friends also went out to have a go at searching for my ticket.

Amtrak has a no-refund policy on lost tickets. You have to produce a ticket to get a refund. It doesn't matter IF you've just bought the ticket from them and they got swallowed by the hungry person next to you right in front of them. You HAVE to produce a ticket.

I decided that the evening was to only get better. People lose money all the time on their travels. People lose a lot more in Vegas in the name of FUN. If I was to consider my gamble for my niece than I figured that was a game worth claiming a win on.

And so I paid another 100 dollars and bought around round trip to San Diego and rolled in safely by 1am to enjoy lava cake and ice cream with my niece. I woke up by 7:30am the next morning and broadcasted my blogradio show by 9am.... and enjoyed the rest of the weekend celebrating with family.

And I was back on the a train Sunday afternoon at 4pm. I arrived back at Glendale and a man called my name when I got off the train.

Stranger: "Are you JNET?"

Being the only female around and being JNET, it was hard to ignore a direct question from a stranger.

JNET: "Yes, I am JNET."

Stranger: "Good, here's your tickets that you lost on the ground last Friday. I didn't know any way to contact you. I called Amtrak and couldn't get any info on you. Here." he handed the tickets to me. "You can call and get your refund."

JNET: "Thanks! Wow... thanks."

I shook his hand and was amazed to meet another rugged angel in Los Angeles. My hands were full and so I dashed off to my car and put my things away. I wasn't away for even two minutes that when I turned around to search for him, the stranger was not to be found.

Another angel, part of the league, disappeared into the evening... but definitely not without leaving quite a mark on my night. Again, hit by the weight of a feather.

JNET

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:24:00 PM

    You know J, it's simply lovely when someone shares a story like yours, the bright light chasing away the smouldering darkness. Does it really depend on whether how one sees the glass as half-full or half-empty or do shall we all believe in our angels? What about those who have no faith then, except in humanity but even then, humanity disappoints them again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once was told that...

    "whatever you believe... is true"

    and that shapes the experience of life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:31:00 AM

    Very uplifting story, JNET...

    ReplyDelete