Thursday, October 19, 2006

I Need a Fairy God Mother



My student's bar mitzvah is this Sunday. 400 guests. We have quite a show planned out for the occasion.

The rehearsals are the fun part. I'm the ONLY girl among the private tutors, two guitar tutors from USC who are absolute sweethearts and amazing musicians and three hip hop dance instructors (the Asian guy from Switzerland is my favorite) and my student wants to play matchmaker. I told him it is so difficult to choose. They are all good looking and extremely talented.

It's our final week before the big party and so we rehearsing every single night. I didnt' know about the 400 guests part until a few days ago. I knew it was going to be a big event but I didn't give much thought beyond teaching my student his music to prepare him to play with a 9 piece band. Mentally preparing him and musically preparing him was my priority... and now I've realized that I don't own anything suitable to wear.

"Wear black." was the request of my student's mom. All my recital gowns are purples, greens.. COLORS.. And the handy basic black cocktails dresses I have are TOO BASIC. Pearls won't save me here.

The dad took me aside, his head a bit spinning from the preparations. I understood then that "think black" was a bit ambiguous. I need to think black, think smart, think conservative, "no bare arms", think posh, think think.. think.

I think I need a lie down. I'm the girl who prefers pajamas over anything. I don't have the patience to shop, most everything I wear is a gift and the pieces I've purchased have a story behind them. But I've been on a mission... I found a pretty skirt, girlish and modest but the price tag was $498!!! The little sweater top that was next to it was the same price. EEEK. I walked away before I fell in love with the outfit any further.

I had to get to rehearsal anyway. I have a random hour or so each day to figure out the dress puzzle until Sunday. I will be the only girl onstage. Except during the dessert hour... the 5 year old sister will be playing a couple of nursery songs and I will accompany her then as well.

For now, this Cinderella is NAKED but hopes to find something SOON.

JNET

No comments:

Post a Comment