Monday, November 20, 2006

I'm The Pink Sheep of the Family



I'll be riding a lull until after the new year. My teaching schedule for the next month hopefully won't be too spotty. I finally have free time to get my car fixed. (I got a ding last spring and finally received a check from the insurance people a couple of weeks ago.) Where to begin to have a personal life? Car, laundry, going through the paper pile? Sleep, eat, nap?

Meanwhile, family obligations landing in the space of long-awaited free time is giving me a sense of pre-claustophobia.

I woke up today again to a troublesome neck. I drive down to San Diego tomorrow after completing my last lesson for the evening at 8pm. I can already hear the lecture that I should stop working so hard and date...

And conform to social ritual, go shopping, dress up for banal conversation in a stupid search that ends with me never writing again or playing the piano so that I may live to do someone's laundry, cooking and cleaning, checking homework, fevers, and humoring attentions 24/7.

Some girls want that and sometimes fight tooth and nail to dissolve their identities in someone else's needs. I'm not that girl.

I am a traitor to span courtship at a mind-boggling pace while my counterparts want to race to the chapel.

I don't think I'm jaded because I enjoy a family where everyone loves married life and is actually ENJOYING it. I am taking my time to other's dismay but not mine. It is both ridiculous and sometimes stressful.

Until cupid strikes me down, I will continue being the pink sheep of the family... enjoying being myself and being with myself.

JNET

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:49:00 PM

    Quote:"Until cupid strikes me down, I will continue being the pink sheep of the family... enjoying being myself and being with myself".

    You remind me of myself when I was younger, I'm very non traditional and peacefully rebellious.

    My family also tried fixing me up and coercing me to tie the knot with some poor girl, I finally had to pack up and move 1200 miles away for some peace of mind.

    I'm still happily single and very content within my own free space.
    You got guts and independence, never give in. :-)

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:14:00 PM

    I love your attitude...


    "I'm the Pink Sheep of the family"

    "Until cupid strikes me down, I will continue being the pink sheep of the family... enjoying being myself and being with myself."

    ReplyDelete